Friday, December 14, 2012

So Many Ideas, Too Little Time!

One thing I have figured out about myself as a writer is that instead of not having enough ideas I have too many! I maintain an idea file and I am always adding to it. But the problem is that I have so many ideas that I procrastinate about writing, so what good does it do me to have all these ideas for poems and stories if none of them are getting written?

Do you have this problem? I am trying to figure out how to tackle it. Do I write one story or poem a week, a month? Do I submit as soon as their written? Should I trash the whole idea file and just write something?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I know that problem. I never really understand the need for prompts, though they are good exercises and can be fun (if you have nothing else to work on!). I wish I had solutions for you. I keep starting new things and not finishing others. Some advice I have heard (and try to use) is: When you do finish a piece, put it away for awhile. NEVER submit right away. Work on something else, then REVISIT the work and REVISE it. You will see something differently, you will find mistakes.
    I read that Charles Dickens always worked on a couple novels at a time and I know other writers do. It works for some people, as long as we actually FINISH something :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete